Saturday, November 10, 2007

Willy Wonka Threw Up?




Purchase ingredients for gingerbread. Check. Mix said ingredients. Check. Bake and rebake gingerbread to get moisture out. Check. Purchase ghastly amounts of candy over several trips to Target, Walgreens, and grocery store. Check. Call sister in laws 16 times to get tips/ask questions about above mentioned gingerbread. Check. Make 4 batches of merengue cement icing. You get the idea. Spend all day Saturday having great relaxing time at sis in law Stephanie's house decorating gingerbread house with cute daughter Caroline and sis in law Maren, listening to great Christmas tunes and drinking wassail. CHECK.

Bro in law said it looked like Willy Wonka threw up candy in the kitchen. I must say I was very proud of my bohemian free-spirited house. Tobler tradition? We'll have to see. Maybe next Leap Year.

6 comments:

Nick, Jen and Spencer said...

The house looks great and from what I understand it truly was an all day event. You've inspired us to get our Christmas music up and playing!

Becky said...

Sheesh...you are gonna make our gingerbread house look like a shack with only licorice stuck to it! Good job on that...not even a kit? I haven't had a chance to think about Christmas yet...

Karie said...

Amazing gingerbread house! When we make ginger-houses our kitchen and kids, and ginger house looks like a mess. Yours, well, looked more like something Martha Stewart would do. Very impressive!

[BrookeO] said...

And the credit goes to...Caroline right?

Have I told you how much I love that you are a blogger!!!?? Well I do, I just love it!!

karen said...

Thanks everybody--and it only took 6 hours (no exaggeration) to decorate. BrookeO--did you see Caroline's cute little house she did in the photo--well, she spent hours on it and then went outside and poured water on it to "add glitter" she said and pretty much ruined the whole thing, bless her heart. She was DEVASTATED. We're trying to fix the damage...
Beckyzboyz--nope, not a kit--I used a pattern that my s.i.l Maren gave to me and it was EXCESSIVELY labor intensive to roll out, cut the pattern, bake, then cut again after it comes out of oven, rebake, etc. All worth it now, of course, that it's over, but I don't know that I'd embark on it again knowing what I had to put into it---like three days of baking, cutting, decorating, gluing, etc.

Nic@Nite said...

WOW! What a house! Don't forget Thanksgiving- poor little turkeys not getting killed cause people forget about Thanksgiving. :)