Monday, November 5, 2007

Halloween Scrooge

I am not into Halloween. It could come and go and I couldn't care less. I don't particularly enjoy dressing up (I never have creative costume ideas), I don't enjoy putting an itchy hot costume on my snot-nosed baby, I don't enjoy the subsequent root canals (no kidding--Jackson has one, Caroline, TWO) that I know are in the making from the repulsive excess of candy. (I do, however, enjoy the KitKats and Reese's). My poor kids had to be whatever fit them in the existing costume bin (except for Jackson, who is the oldest and rebuffed my idea of throwing a white sheet over his head and cutting eyes out to be a "spooky ghost"). I think I had one crappy Halloween toll-painted wreath that was given to us as a wedding present a decade ago. (Hope one of you didn't give that to me--oops--it was cute for years and the first five moves).

I am the antithesis of my sister Susan, who is the "Mistress of all things Halloween". I think she had her Halloween decorations up in August. She throws magnificent Halloween soirees. She tediously hand carves 37 very small pumpkins and strings lights through them and hangs them up around her yard for a more "festive flavor". She dresses her cute family up in grand thematic fashion (she was a spider web and her baby was the spider).

This year, by Jove, was going to be different. I promptly copied my VT Jill's window decor ideas--surprisingly easy with black felt/flannel and white iron-on backing--and started cutting. I bought cute little witches feet to hang out of drawers. I bought orange lights to go around the door. We "Boo'ed" our neighbors. I bought a huge cauldron to put candy in. Marc and I went to an adults only Halloween party as Napoleon Dynamite and Deb(again), and abandoned every last shred of our pride and dignity as we participated in a video scavenger hunt--racing shopping carts in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and singing "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" (with four other costumed self-respecting adults) to a bunch of teenagers at In-N-Out Burger. Marc still hasn't forgiven me for making him go with me, but he was a mighty good sport. Marc did look kinda cute acting like a Deacon again.

My boy Jackson: "Mom, thanks for finally getting into the Halloween spirit after ten years."

Me: "You're welcome."

7 comments:

The Ross Family said...

Finally. And well done by the way. it will be good to keep in contact and know what you guys are doing rather than just the occ. email, etc. I have to say, I'm not much of a halloween gal myself, but I love to hear about those that are, I would of loved to see you in the parking lot though.

lawtrix said...

I love the blog so far - and your house looked great for Halloween! I didn't even bother putting out a pumpkin, but I did buy five bags of candy. Not many kids in our neighborhood, though, so I'm still working through that candy...

Becky said...

Well, I have been entertaining the same thought for several months too. Not sure I am ready yet but I started my blog page those several months ago. I am not ready to commit yet. I am afraid. Sure do reading yours. Thanks Karen.

[BrookeO] said...

Hook, line and sinker....

Hooray!!! You are one of my most favorite people in the world!!!

Karie said...

1. I'm so thrilled you have a blog.
2. I cracked up reading your Halloween stories.
3. I want to see a picture of you and your husband as Napoleon and Deb.
4. Now all we have to do is get Becky to post to her blog.

Marilyn Broadbent Oveson said...

Karen, you crack me up! Love, love the blog. I do enjoy your honest candor, always have, we share that ability to shock and enlighten, I think that's why I've always loved you so much! Note, you have to get "on" a bandwagon. BTW, I bet you and Marc made a fabulous Napoleon and Deb, easy to picture you, tougher to picture Marc with that hair...
Mel

Nic@Nite said...

love the blog! Way to go gettin' in the spirit of Halloween. I am diggin' the windows on your house, very cool.