Sunday, July 10, 2011

beautiful apocalypse





Good thing my folks drove in from CA when they did.

They beat this gorgeous mess by about an hour.

It's technically called a "haboob" which in Arabic means an intense sandstorm [ours was dirt] commonly seen in the Sahara Desert.

Mom and I decided to go watch the kids swim outside.

It was hot.

We went outside anyways.

We both love the golden glow of twilight.

I started to scrub the bird poop off our chaise lounges.

Caroline pushed Marc into the pool.

Mom kept insisting that there was smoke on the horizon.

"Look at that smoke!" she said.

I didn't look.

Finally I sat down and looked. 

I grabbed my mom's hand and we looked at eachother.

I mentally tabulated the amount of time I might need for some rapido deathbed repentance.
[mom needed none].

The tidal wave of dust instantly permeated every pore.

We yelled at the kids to get in the house.

My dad yelled at my mom to find the car keys so he could roll the windows up.

This freak weather anomaly was breathtaking and frightening.

But not so fun to clean up.

Which is why I made Jackson sweep the patio and porch and clean the pool.

We are still getting the grit out of our teeth.


8 comments:

Delia said...

Wow...we heard about it but hadn't seen pictures. That is truly awe-some. Glad everyone is okay.

Natalie said...

wasn't it amazing? sorry you had to be outside at the time.

The Good Life on Less! said...

I was at Costco when it hit. Brett called and warned it was coming. I went out to look and it looked like End of Days or something ... enormous, black on the inside. Egads! And you're right ... what a mess to clean up!

Maren said...

Arizona weather sure can be fun during monsoon season! The lightening this morning was pretty breathtaking too.

Janet said...

That is so scary! I have goosebumps. I can't even imagine what it must have felt like.

Ok, deathbed repenting....too funny.

Becky said...

I have never heard of such a thing. So interesting and scary... and wow... totally incredible.

Nancy K said...

OH MY!!!!

dave.heather said...

Holy heck! Did you take those pictures? Amazing!!