Monday, December 20, 2010

a public apology on the blogisphere

Dear Evie B, I apologize for branding you a liar in my last post. 

I made the darling crayola wreaths you depicted on your blog, and they were dang cute.  The teachers appropriately fawned over them.  The students we walked past on the way to the classroom stared.  The school nurse gave adequate adulation.  The secretaries raved. 

My daughters were class heroes. 

I was finally that mom.  For a day.

[That mom I'd wanted to throttle just yesterday]. 

I see how this could have taken you only 20 minutes total, Evie B., and maybe even cost you only five bucks. 

Unfortunately they were out of foam wreaths at the Dollar Tree, and I wanted to use more than just the primary color crayons. I didn't really have any material I liked (that I could find in my randomly squirred away craft piles in various cabinets, at least).

My cost ended up being around $10 per wreath, which was still jim dandy, if you ask me. 

I stayed up until 2:00am making these wreaths. 

Something about the mindless task of hot glue gunning 137 crayons approximately 3 millimeters apart each was strangely calming.  

I experienced a glimpse of spiritual clarity and elusive inner peace while listening to my MoTab christmas music in the crystal chill of the night.

I mentally stacked up my blessings. 

I also ruined my gel nails, and my second degree burns are healing nicely. 

There were pockets of sheer exhaustion--sure.  Occasional lapses into puddles of delirium. 

For instance:  I remember being spurred on by the unfettered delusion that I would be hoisted up onto the shoulders of the students/teachers alike after presenting this glorious rainbow of delight to the teacher...a la Ralphie in "A Christmas Story".  

This kept me right on gluegunning. 

Plus I decided I like my wreaths just a leetle better than yours, Evie B.  I only gooped together one big fabric flower per wreath [held together by 17 pounds of glue], and I did not use pinking shears but I plan to look them up in the dictionary soon. 

Total time spent on project:  2 hours and 27 minutes.

Don't hate me because I'm crafty.






8 comments:

Sims Family said...

I love it and am totally impressed!

Janet said...

O.k. now I feel guilty about the comment I made on your last post. I think the wreaths are beautiful and very creative. I like the bright colors that you used.

Becky said...

I love that! Yours turned out really cute. Aaaand, we have the same gel nails! I finally decided to do something about my weak, short pathetic unhealthy nails. The gel isn't a perfect solution, but close. :) So, were you hoisted up with a "three cheers for Mrs. Tobler!" ???

Mimi said...

I'm so proud! and can I just say, you're hilarious!

Laurel said...

I love it and I love this post even more! You are a very talented writer/crafter. =) You should do an even craftier craft blog where you re do a craft and put up the honest specs for it. ha ha ha! They are seriously cute though!!

[BrookeO] said...

Love this love you miss you!!!!

Nic@Nite said...

So cute! I might have to try this for their end of year gifts. You are so funny, thanks for the blog posts that make me LOL. Miss you!

Carol F. said...

You pulled out the crafty! Nicely done, Karen!!!