Friday, November 6, 2009

Gravitas

General Conference weekend.* Not all my days can be filled with pithy fun and fluff. Some days it's necessary to re-focus on the unwavering truths of life and our existence here on earth. Cousin Alice's five kids came to "camp out" for a couple of days [while they were off backpacking somewhere remote]. We were schooled in the art of Extreme Fort Building. Nine kids mulled about crafting various nests and hideouts for themselves.
These were powerful messages of hope, charity, and faith. To edify and recommit my mind and soul. And detox myself from the cynic I don't want to become. A rescue of sorts from my usual jaded self. Elder Holland's profound testimony of the Book of Mormon was among my favorites. Here are some highlights from several of the talks.




*General Conference is a bi-annual occurence wherein a living prophet and the twelve living apostles, as well as other men and women, deliver inspired messages about Jesus Christ. It is broadcast worldwide from Salt Lake City. It is interesting to note that these men/women are not paid/professional clergy. They are people who did not seek their callings, but who were plucked from their various professions as lawyers, surgeons, farmers, military personnel, pilots, engineers, etc., to tirelessly testify of the Living Christ, to all nations, kindreds, tongues, and peoples, much like the apostles of Biblical times.

8 comments:

Janet said...

I love this post! Fort Building is such a great idea. We'll have to try that next time!

Janet said...

I should also mention how wonderful conference was! I loved it. Some of my favorites were President Monson's from Priesthood; President Uchtdorf's from Saturday--the one about love should be our walk and our talk. I also really like David A. Bednar's on "doing more of what we know is right and become better." Wonderful!

Becky said...

Wow, that looks like a busy little bunch! How awesome are you for putting all the apostles up so they can see them. Super good idea! I bet you also were doing some gourmet cooking back in the kitchen, making sure to have good treats and awesome meals for the weekend. If I know you, ....I am right.

Ashley said...

How fun!

Tobler Family said...

Looks like the kids were having fun!

Jared and Delia said...

Forts during conference weekend are a must at our house too, but with many many less fort guests. I love Conference too, my two favorite times of the year.

Chelle said...

My first impression was the same as Becky's - the pictures of the apostles is such a great idea. I hope you don't mind a copy cat for next conference. This year we didn't even make our kids listen. We just let them go downstairs and play. I was too tired and it was too much work to fight with them. You've inspired me for next time though. It totally makes sense that we might want to make the room an interesting and fun place for the kids to be.

Nic@Nite said...

Love the pictures of the apostles to look at! I am super impressed with the halloween costume as well, way to go Susan.