Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A new house




Home: [noun] 1. The place in which one's domestic affections are centered. 2. Any place of residence or refuge.


With my post-moving breakdowns hopefully behind me (I usually pencil them in on the calendar for about 10:30pm on Tuesdays), I have come up for air. Finally getting those last few boxes unpacked. Finally settling into a routine in my new fishbowl of a house. That I love. That has the greenest most tranquil backyard ever. That I want to stay in forever. And grow some deep roots for Marc and I and the kids. We were all a little surprised at how much we missed our Power Ranch people. But we're not letting go of those relationships. Can't get rid of the old Toblers. (Or Tobles, as we're now called in the new phone book).

This was our first local move (as opposed to trans-continental), yet we have still struggled to adjust a little. Better now. Still great having so much family nearby. Now we're even closer to everybody (yet not too close, if you know what I mean). We honestly could not have weathered this move without the indefatigable help of dear family and friends. THANK YOU. Really.

OH, and we grossly underestimated how much we dig having a pool. However, I'm having a hard time balancing the whole "be a cool mom and just get in a swim all day and enjoy your kids and live in a swimsuit" mom versus the "Frankly I look like a cross between a troll and a drowned rat upon exiting the pool and hate re-doing my hair/makeup over again if we have to go somewhere in the afternoons or nights" mom. If any moms with pools have any brilliant suggestions, I'm listening...









18 comments:

Janet said...

It is so beautiful! I am very happy for you. That is definitely a house to stay in for a while...a long while. Hurray!

Jared and Delia said...

What a beautiful house. I love that backyard too!

Becky said...

Great candid shots of the family while showing off the home. I love it!!! and i know you are so happy to be there. I still want a pool! But, I will just be happy to hear that you are enjoying yours. So so so so happy you are settled, finally,...after all these years...when we met in 1999. Right? That first apartment that you guys had there in Temple? Oh, how the years fly by.

Natalie said...

Yay! I'm loving your happiness! The home is TO DIE FOR! Congrats on the long career haul. This is one payoff, eh?

Brock said...

Karen, I have been waiting to see pics!!! Your home is just beautiful. I am so happy for you. You guys deserve this. I'm still on a blogging hiatus-for whatever reason. Having a boy in a few weeks-the days are creeping by. :)

Nic@Nite said...

Wow! Is there really life after schooling? I LOVE your house, can I move in mid November for about 6 months while Iowa does its thing?

Nancy K said...

How fun! Your home has always been a fun place to be...

The Good Life on Less! said...

Ok, just love the house ... great design ... great feel. I want to come see it. That is, of course, when we finish our move (6th move of our junk in 2 yrs) in the next few weeks. (Long story!) Anyway, the new rental has a pool, so you'll have to let me know if you get any of those good tips on remaining presentable!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

I just checked in on your blog, to confirm the web address for the cards I'm working on. NOW, I'm crying. Tears of happiness, not sad tears. I have the goosebumps. I LOVE that you LOVE "our" house and to see your beautiful children playing happily there, makes my heart smile. Thank you for being wonderful. XOXO

Ashley said...

Good for you guys!! Can't wait to visit. :)

Lonni said...

The house is "fabuloso"... hey, just trying to make the Tobles feel at home! I'm so happy for you and yet, have a hard time ever imagining you look even remotely like a troll. Someday, I hope to visit. But don't you happen to have a brother in law and a dear friend up here in Idaho that you need to visit?

dave.heather said...

When's the housewarming party?!! It's gorgeous. Roots, indeed. Simply fabulous!! Wish we were neighbors.

~Heather in foggy CA

P.S. Waterproof mascara...

Laurel said...

What a gorgeous house! And huge backyard! Gotta love that!

Chelle said...

That backyard is fabulous! The whole thing is fabulous and I definitely see your style in it. Love it, love it, love it. And I'm so happy for you. I look forward to getting my boxes unpacked as well. Maybe at some point my post-move breakdowns will spread themselves out to once a week rather than nightly. Enjoy your home and your pool hair and everything else that comes along.

[BrookeO] said...

Oh I love it! Seriously I am smiling ear to ear.

kristi smith said...

hi kare!
a house is great because of the love that is in it...your family is beautiful...when can the smith clan come over? btw, happy belated birthday.

The Weeden Family said...

What a beautiful home!!! Plenty of room for everyone to run around. :-) Congrats!

Sarah said...

WOW! That glass wall is incredible! And the yard and pool look equally perfect.